Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Damn! It's been awhile.















So this is my first post since 2008. What took me so long you say? I don't really know. Life happens and you just want to live it rather than reflect I guess.

So I moved back to the Bay Area. This wasn't supposed to happen but it did and now I'm here. The plan was to move to Taipei, Taiwan for 2 years, but after 3 months of living there, I decided it was time to come back. It wasn't so much that Taipei was boring, I just wasn't inspired when I walked through the streets. The people were incredibly kind and generous. The food was absolutely amazing. Public transportation was fast, cheap and convenient. And clubs stayed open until the sun came up. It was everything that I could ask for except for a couple of things, no art scene and no creativity.

I vividly remember coming to Taipei in December of 2004. Ba (father) gave me a trip to Taipei and China as a graduation present. As a kid, I never had an interest in visiting Asia. For someone of Chinese/Taiwanese decent and born in the Bay Area, it was unusual for me to never have visited Asia until this point (I don't count flying there as a fetus in my mom's belly as my first time in Taiwan but it did happen, ha). I flew to Taipei alone after spending one week in Shanghai and Hong Kong with my mom. Shanghai was the most depressing concrete jungle and Hong Kong was pretty awesome, but Taipei was the clear winner on this trip. My grandma played host and I would walk with her all over the city. She would show me all her local dining spots and I was in fat boy heaven. We drove to the coast and saw the wind-carved sandstone figures and up Yangmingsan mountain for the hot springs. My great uncle brought me to the Taipei Fine Art Museum and I was blown away by the Chinese paper cuttings delicately hung on both sides of a long corridor. My aunt also introduced me to my first Taiwan gay club, Funky (at the time, all her friends were either flight attendants or gay guys). I never thought coming to Taipei would be so fun and I knew I would eventually return.

Needless to say, the second time around wasn't as exciting as I had imagined. I left NYC because I was going to move to Taipei and go to Chinese school. I wanted to be able to read and write Chinese because I needed an excuse to prolong my irresponsibility. All I really wanted to do was get drunk, meet boys, and wake my artistic side.

Anyways, I don't want to type anymore cause it sounds like I'm writing a novel which this wasn't supposed to be. More fun stuff tomorrow.

Shouts out to Kris, Hao, and Fred, the 3 Taiwanese guys I fell in love with. And to all my Shida folks, skeet skeet!


1 comment:

sharock said...

wow...ummm what happened to more tomorrow?